Based on the regulation of the Minister of Higher Education and Science no. 19, dated July 20, 1962, as of 1968, the Institute for Teacher Training and Education Malang (IKIP Malang) initiated higher education for sarjanas to obtain doctoral degree through the Post Graduate Program, Institute for Teacher Training and Education Malang. The courses were offered and undertaken through sandwich system, in cooperation with the Ford Foundation. In the subsequent development, this program was integrated into Doctoral Study Program without coursework.
As the realization of the government’s commitment to improving the quality of the faculty members of Higher Education Institutions in Indonesia, the Directorate General of Higher Education established the TMPD (Tim Managemen Pendidikan Doktor) or the Management Team for Doctoral Education in 1975, which was a team responsible for doctoral education held both in Indonesia and abroad. In the attempt to improve the quality of the academics in the Teacher Training Institutions, IKIP Malang, IKIP Bandung, and IKIP Jakarta were selected to assume the responsibility to establish a Doctoral Program with scholarship.
In line with the effort, IKIP Malang commissioned a committee to draft the concept of the establishment of a postgraduate program (in the beginning of 1976). The drafts prepared by the committee were reported in the report of the Preparation for the Doctoral Studies, IKIP Malang. This report was the basis for the university to offer doctoral studies in February 1976. The study programs offered were Education (1976), English Language Education (1976), Biology Education (1976), and Economics Education (1979).
In 1980 the concept of post-graduate education underwent some development. The development led to the split of the Postgraduate Program into Doctoral Degree (S3) Programs and Master’s Degree (S2) Programs. Accordingly, IKIP Malang opened several Master’s Degree Programs, one of which was the English Language Education.
Based on the Presidential Decree of the Republic of Indonesia No. 60/1982, dated September 7, 1982, the Doctoral Study program was officially changed into Postgraduate and Doctoral Program (PDP). A year later, with the Decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 0146/0/1983, dated March 5, 1983, the PDP was changed into Postgraduate Faculty. Then, with the Government Regulation No. 30, the Postgraduate Faculty was amended from faculty to program, with the name Graduate Program, which has been up to the present.
At present, both the Master’s degree and the Doctoral degree programs have been accredited. Based on the decrree of the national Accreditation Council, No. 022/BAN-PT/Ak-VI/S2/II/2009, dated February 20, 2009, the Master’s Degree program in English Language Teaching has been accredited B (effective until February 2014). The Doctoral Degree program in English Language Teaching has been accredited A (effective until October 20, 2014) based on the decree of the National Accreditation Council No.008/BAN-PT/Ak-VIII/S3/X/2009, dated October 30, 2009.
The Magister (Master’s) and Doktor (Ph.D) degree programs in English Language Teaching are providers of an outstanding ICT-based Higher Education which is anticipative of the global development and future situation in the gamut of English language teaching.
- The Magister (Master’s) and Doktor (Ph.D) degree programs provide higher education in the attempts to improve equality and broaden educational access to the society in the field of English Language Teaching.
- The Magister (Master’s) and Doktor (Ph.D) degree programs improve their quality, relevance, and global competitiveness through education and teaching, research and scientific advancement, as well as community service in the field of English Language Teaching.
- The Magister (Master’s) and Doktor (Ph.D) degree programs build a healthy organization in the attempt to strengthen their management, accountability, and public image, both nationally and internationally.
TARGET OF THE STUDY PROGRAMS
Doctoral Degree in English Language Teaching
The Doctoral Degree Program in English Language Teaching has, as its target, the output of high quality scientists, practitioners and/or specialists who can widely and actively contribute to the development of the science of English language teaching with the following indicators:
- having the ability to critique and innovatively develop theory, design, and English teaching methodology through educational research and/or studies;
- having the ability to critique and innovatively develop the curriculum, syllabus, and other supporting documents for English language teaching;
- having the ability to critique and innovatively develop the theory for developing instructional materials and media for English language teaching;
- having the ability to critique and innovatively develop evaluation (assessment) mechanism for English language teaching;
- mastering and having the ability to integrate ICT into various forms of educational research and English language teaching development; and
- conducting independent and continuous teaching to obtain and/or develop new knowledge and/or skills.
Informasi tentang Program Studi S3 Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris, dapat diunduh disini.